Friday, April 6, 2018

"New" Peter Laing Victorian Figures

    I have been trying to stay away from Ebay with my current shortage of cash. However, I just happened to look one day, only to notice a lot of Peter Laing Victorian Parade mounted band figures. I must admit, I wanted to bid right away on them. I looked at the seller's other items and saw another lot. This particular lot had a large number of Napoleonic 1st generation Minifigs, with Peter Laing figures mixed in. There was also a Peter Laing carriage with a general figure and female figure in a yellow dress. I assumed that this was the carriage that went with the Victorian Parade line. It seemed that it was missing the Queen Victoria figure. On closer examination, I noticed some Peter Laing musicians in the mix.
   I found myself in a difficult situation; the auction was almost over and had to decide wither to bid on the lots. I realized that I couldn't bid on both; the foot figures would be more useful to me.  I decided to bid on the foot figures. I bidded on them, only to be outbid. I was going to give up as the price was more than I could afford. At the last minute, I did rise my bid, and to my surprise won. One problem with collecting out of production figures is you can wait years to find figures you want, and if you don't buy them when you get the chance, you can find yourself waiting more years for another opportunity.



The Royal Coach with Queen Victoria. It is missing one wheel, but I do have extra wheels that should fit.




The lot of foot figures.


There were enough regular infantry for 4 units  in my Little Wars Army, along with two Guards flag bearers. The regulars will now bring my Brigade of regulars up to 6 infantry units.

Close up of the Regular infantry figures.
The Highland band.


The Regulars band.
Close up of the Regular band.

15 comments:

  1. An interesting haul of figures you picked up there with sufficient numbers to make up some units.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I play using them in "toy soldier" fashion, even the bandsmen can be used in the battle.

      Delete
  2. Seize the moment, it may never come again. Good haul!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you, it was a lot I would have regretted if I hadn't at least tried for it.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Besides the coach and figures, I also got 13 new Peter Laing figures I didn't have before. I am very excited by this purchase. I still wish I could have bid on the cavalry, though.

      Delete
  4. Fantastic buy - the coach is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The coach was the deciding factor for me. Unfortunately, the outrider figures (dressed in red coats and jocky hats) were in the cavalry lot. However, the riders on the back of the coach were with it. All in all, it's a great piece.

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. It was lucky indeed. I also missed it by an hour. I still wonder if he had sold more Peter Laing Victorian figures before I saw these figures.

      Delete
    2. It should have read "I almost missed it by an hour".

      Delete
  6. I"m reaching a point where I'm trying to stop buying figures until I can get rid of the majority of my plastics collection, which was another reason I was thinking of not bidding on these figures. Luckily I gave into temptation.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great find. I totally agree with your comments on collecting out of production figures!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I plan to stay off Ebay until I can do something with my large plastic collection. Still, if another opportunity like this lot comes along, I wouldn't hesitate to bid on it.

    ReplyDelete