Saturday, September 9, 2017

Peter Laing Legions

      I recently read a book on the American Revolution. In the book they mentioned the use of Legions in both armies. At the time I was working on my Minifigs AWI armies and started thinking of making a Legion of Minifigs. Of course, I got distracted from my painting and lost interest in that project.

     I also have started rebasing my Peter Laings, switching from washers to plastic square bases. I was working on my Peter Laing Boers. One reason I wanted more Boer figures was so that some could be painted as dismounted Yeomanry. While walking my dog, I started thinking of how to use the new Peter Laings. I also started thinking of legions. As I have been using Neil Thomas' army charts, it dawned on me that his 3, 4, or 6 unit armies would make nice little legions. I decided to make several "legions" of Peter Laings, made up of 3,4,5, or 6 units. I already have a Natal Native Horse "legion" consisting of 2 infantry and 2 cavalry units. I decided to make two more legions, one based on the City Imperial Volunteers from the Boer War, another painted along the lines of the US Army in the late 19th-early 20th century.  Both these legions will have one cavalry, one machine gun, and two infantry units.
Working on Peter Laing Legions.

Close up of the first CIV infantry.

In the background some of the US infantry have started to be painted.


These are the two Natal Native Horse units that I got years ago.


Two units of Natal Native Horse infantry. These four units have been used in several games, fighting as a unit.

Another shot of the CIV infantry.

6 comments:

  1. I intend to mark the units on the bases, so they can start winning battle honors and have some history to them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. John - I really like that idea and the figures look great

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just got back from camping (with no internet connection, really "roughing" it) and got to paint two of my legions. Hopefully I can take some photos and post them soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. They look great, and such a good idea!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I played a game using one of the legions. I do believe I will add a couple of units to each legion.

    ReplyDelete