Sunday, September 24, 2017

Finished Peter Laing Legions

     While on vacation I painted up two of my "Peter Laing Legions".  Originially they had 4 units; one cavalry, two infantry, and one machine gun. One is based on the late 1800's US Army, the other the CIV from the Boer War. I started to add another infantry unit to the CIV and an artillery unit to the US legion. I think in the end they will become 6 units made up of two cavalry and four infantry units, with the machine gun and artillery added based on games.

    Recently I have been taken a break from wargaming and mainly been doing some reading. I also started working on a RC sailboat bought on Ebay. I will not be posting much for a while, although I will continue to follow other wargaming blogs.
The US Army Legion. The figure walking his horse is to be used if the cavalry dismounts to fight as infantry. The US Army during this period wore ammunition bandoliers around the waist, not over the should as the British army did. However, as I rarely fight historical games with these figures, a little "artistic license" was taken.

The CIV Legion. I started painting the third infantry unit, that is on the left of the picture.

8 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I tried some new gloss lacquer. While it works well, it takes more time to dry. Also, the day was humid, which I think made it dry even slower. A couple of the figures lost some paint when they were put away before it was dry. I will go back to the quick dry lacquer.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thank you Ian. I am thinking of using the legion concept with other periods, so I will have many small armies that could be used in campaigns without always having to make new armies constantly.

      Delete
  3. John
    Colourful as ever and good to see these figures painted up - I think the American Airfix WW1 doughboys could stand in as Rough Riders or late 1800s / 1900 US Army in the absence of Peter Laing Boer figures.
    Enjoy your gaming / blogging break to RC boats - unless you blend the two hobbies with amphibious landings!
    Best wishes, Mark Man of TIN

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mark,
    I did paint my Airfix Doughboys as SAW soldiers. I used Airfix Confederates for the Spanish, although I didn't paint them. The Airfix figures did fit the bill well.

    I would like to build the Revell 1/96 scale USS Constitution for RC sailing. Right now I've started work on an old 1 metre sailing yacht. It is a plastic kit that was supposed to be "almost ready to run". I has suffered more damage than I thought and must figure out how to repair it. At first I was a little upset; however, I'm finding trying to figure out how to repair it is helping to get out of my funk.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the Airfix Confederate tip for SAW Spanish infantry, I can see this working well.

    Hopefully you will discover a whole friendly new world of RC boat modelling blogs and forums that will help you with your repairs. Mark, Man of TIN.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mark, While I have been working on my model boat, I continue to dabble with my toy soldiers. I got a wargame in this weekend, drew up a chart for selecting armies to use with some modified rules, and bought a lot of 30mm SAE soldiers. I don't plan my model boating to overtake my interest in wargaming.

    ReplyDelete