Sunday, January 1, 2017

A New Year of Wargaming

    Last week I got four wargames in, all using Battle Cry. The first two games I played the Battle of Pea Ridge. I played the game using the original rules. The first game I played the Confederates, second game the Union. In both games the Union lost. Once again,  for me my poor card shuffling came into play. In the Pea Ridge scenario, the Confederates have most of their units in the center. However, most of the cards drawn were flank cards. After the second game, I went through the cards and found the good center cards were all on the bottom, once again showing my bad card shuffling. I then remembered seeing an article in Lone Warrior "Battle Cry My Way" by George Arnold. His units are moved based on dice rolls. For each pip rolled, one unit or group can move. He also uses a gridded play area, so he can use terrain pieces instead of tiles. I decided to play another game, but I did use average dice instead of a regular 6D dice. I played the First Bull Run scenario, as I had played this scenario a  couple of times with the regular rules, so had a feel of how the game played out. I found for my wargaming needs, this game was more enjoyable. I then played the game again, using Bob Corderys' Memoir of Battle rules. Once again, it was a quick and enjoyable game. And, once again, I will be using Memoir of Battle for my games. I have decided to start using Command & Color scenarios for my wargames. However, I will use whatever armies I am interested in. So my Peter Laing War of Spanish Succession or ancient Romans might find themselves on the Gettysburg battlefield. With the available Command & Colors scenarios online, I will not be lost for battles to fight. I also brought out my original Heroscape terrain pieces that will be used instead of the Command & Colors board.  I seem to have come full circle with my gaming, having decided to game this way couple of years ago!


    In a recent Wargame Miscellany post, Bob Cordery mentioned how he is watching "Time Commanders", a show where 4 amateurs takes the roll of general to refight great battles. I had watched a couple of the shows a while ago, but lost interest in it. The last week I have been watching the show on Youtube, and found a new appreciation for the show. It now has me thinking of using BobCorderys' "Portable Wargames Ancients" with Heroscape terrain and Peter Laing ancients. Once again Command & Colors Ancients scenarios will provide the battlefield.

Happy New Year to all; may you get plenty of wargames in.
An example of my plans for future gaming. The Battle of Agincourt using Battlelore rules and scenario, Heroscape terrain, and Peter Laing Medieval figures. These pictures are from a game I played in 2013.

Another view of Agincourt at the start of the game.

8 comments:

  1. Looks like a good gaming year ahead for you. May 2017 be good for you in many ways.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I find myself excited to start work on this project, the first time in several months. I still have to start work a several molds I have been wanting to make, so my gaming year is off to a good start. I look forward to following your blog; your home cast armies are truly inspiring. Wishing you and your loved ones a happy new year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your reply. I have become very interested in the War of 1812. I was given the Osprey on the American War as a birthday present when I was 8 or 9 and still have it. I have started reading Stuart Asquiths 2 books on the subject and have found them fascinating and full of ideas. A campaign is also a very attractive proposition although a huge leap compared to anything else I have attempted. I was thinking about 1812 casualty markers whilst walking the dogs earlier. My knowledge of the geography and wildlife of the areas contected are at best very limited. I have, perhaps incorrectly, thought that you may live in the vague area of the conflict. Are here any typical features - perhaps agricultural or more urban or even wildlife that could be modelled and used as a marker, probably in a smaller scale - 6mm ? - The other thought was to use an officer / ensign / non com type figure and rotate as with the WW2 thought. I am still keen on using C&C but would also like to give All the Kings Men a run out so would have such figures. I am eager for the publication of Bob Cordery`s book. I think that your Agincourt game looks just as a game with toy soldiers should. Thanks and apologies for pestering you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are not pestering me. Your comments have been getting me thinking about my own gaming. I don't live near the area of operations, although the British did launch raids along the coast of Cape Cod, where I live. I like the fact that the armies in the War of 1812 were small and mainly infantry. With the markers, do you mean that there would be individual command figures, and for each hit, one of the command figures would be removed? That sounds like a good idea. I've started working on my Heroscape tiles to set up a C&C battlefield. Hopefully this weekend I can get a game in using it. I have to find my copy of All the Kings Men and go over the rules again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. John, many thanks for the reply. Hold fire on repainting the Kings men in blue coats. I knew I had some minifigs American infantry somewhere and have just found them. If you send me your address then I will post them to you. I am really enthused about the war of 1812 at the moment and have blue moon figures for both sides wheras I only have Americans in minifigs. I would be delighted for them to go to a good loving home. Mainly line infantry but 8 cacalry figures - 4 x light dragoons and 4 mounted rifles or militia I think. I will check the codes and let you know later. I had thought of mounting 2 x command figures on a penny and using the position of them to indicate remaining strength - assuming a C&C type approach, so in front = full strength, right side strength 3 etc.The two command figures also fits with ATKM. Do send me your address if only to prevent minifig treachery. Turncoats indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Chris, thank you for the kind offer of the Minifigs. However, right now I am trying to avoid getting any more figures ( unless the are Peter Laing). I have so many 1st generation Napoleonic Minifigs that I don't think I shall ever use them all. I am also planning to start a project painting up some of my Peter Laing ancients to use with C&C Ancients scenarios. I like the idea of using the command stands' position to tell the unit strength. For me, I am easily confused and would probably forget to move the command stand. As a solo player I don't have to worry about the visual part of the game such as 4 man Napoleonic regiments as opposed to 18 man regiments. But even I like the look of massed troops on the field and removing only command figures instead of the troops themselves would keep the visual aspect pleasing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. attack, 8x 8NU March attack shako/coatee, 8x19NU Mixed marines, 8x 14NU Militia march attack, top hat, 8x 5NU March attack leather shako, 4x 2NUC Mounted rifles, 4x 1NUC Dragoons and a pack of generals / personalities. I am also a solo enthusiast and in fact rarely play games although I am feeling more motivated to get set up than I have for a long time. I tend just to collect, potter with the toys and paint what I feel like painting. The 1812 war has really got me focussed though, as you said, small forces and limited horses to paint. I set a few figures out on a Memoir 44 board earlier this morning with some of the toy wooden village buildings that you use and it looked fine to me, a little like a contemporary print of a battle.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It looks like a nice little collection of War of 1812 Minifigs. I approach the hobby in the same way you do. For a long time I was working on the hobby more for the blog than my personal pleasure. It actually started to stress me out if I didn't post regularly. Following readers advice, I went back to puttering with the hobby. I do try to post somewhat regularly. I also try to use my Peter Laings when possible, partly because I believe the few followers I have are fellow Peter Laing fans. In the last month I have been looking at the fact I only solo war-game and thought of trying to find a local opponent; however, I realized that I would find it extremely difficult to get games in. I am thinking of challenging my wife to a game of Battle Cry. We have in the past played chess and found that she would kick my butt more often than not. I have been working on my Heroscape landscape, having sit up a board to use C&C on. I am trying to work out rivers and towns on the board. I am thinking of just putting water hexes on top of the board, instead of breaking the board down when I want a river. Anyone who has played with Heroscape knows how aggravating putting the board together can be. I do like the looks of the little wooden houses, along with Peter Laing miniatures; as you said that look like old prints of battles.

    ReplyDelete