Wednesday, November 4, 2015

New Casting

      I realized that my rubber for making molds was getting to the end of it's shelf life.  I have some toy soldiers coming soon which I hope to make molds of. I did want to see if the rubber was still good. I decided to make a mold of a Minifigs general figure. It is in the classic "heroic" pose; being a figure on a rearing horse,pointing forward to where the action is. It is a complicated figure and didn't hold out much hope that it would turn out useful figures. Happily, the figures came out good enough for my use.
The master.

A couple of shots of the castings after trimming and priming.

Starting to paint a couple. One good thing is there is little detail around the head, so they can be painted looking forward (as with the red coated figure) or facing sideways (as with the blue coated figure).


  1. I am really pleased that the figures turned out so well. I have never tried home casting, much I would imagine to the profound relief of family and dogs. I think the anxiety of waiting to see the results would probably push me over the edge. They look smashing.

  2. The rubber I use cures in about 8 hours. If I start early enough in the morning, I can have the mold completed in one day and be casting the next. I have a little station set up in the basement where it doesn't bother everyone. It can be rewarding using your own home casts in wargames. Of course, when they don't work it can be frustrating.

  3. John, think the figure looks really good. Your casting seems to be improving all of the time

  4. I am still having problems with getting rifles to fill out. Now I know why manufacturers use spinning molds. I also think that the rifles are so small that air pockets form in them. Vents from the rifles have been hit or miss. Itried making molds of Minifigs ACW Marines (more on that next posting). Had some success with the rifles on these figures.